Social Media Scheduling Dos & Don’ts
Whether you own a small business or a large company, finding the time to create engaging content for your social media accounts can be difficult. Once you have that content, figuring out an effective strategy to distribute posts can feel downright intimidating, and the difficulty only intensifies as you add more social media accounts to your collection.
The arrival of scheduling tools (like Sproutsocial, Hootsuite and Buffer) was a welcomed change that helped to tame the social media chaos. These tools are fairly easy to use, and most include tutorials to walk you through how everything works. Still, there are some best practices I have come across in the field which can make your accounts appear more professional.
Scheduling Dos & Don’ts:
• DO plan & schedule for holiday posts as early as possible, these can sneak up on you
• DON’T schedule the same posts across all of your accounts
• Treat each social platform as its own social clique, #’s are cool on Twitter, but mean nothing on LinkedIn (people may look at you funny)
• If someone is following you on multiple platforms and you’re duplicating posts, it appears impersonal and, frankly, may lose you followers
• DO check on your accounts occasionally- make sure your posts & images are showing up on your pages the way you want them to
• DON’T just schedule it and forget it! Use the time you saved from scheduling to check in on your notifications & community
I hope these tips help you in your future scheduling endeavors. Please feel free to comment below with any questions!